nouveau

nouveau

A Geek in Japan: Discovering the Land of Manga, Anime, Zen, and the Tea Ceremony - Hector  Garcia two random stories. "Hector Garcia", of course, are merely the first two names of a Scandinavian guy who's into Japan. the name choice, obviously, is an attempt to capture readership from fans of [b:Oscar Wao|297673|The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao|Junot Díaz|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349041446s/297673.jpg|3281466]. intertextuality rules the universe!

second, I think I may have written one of the entries in this book. a guy in a Tokyo bar once, finding out that I've done cultural studies in the country, began picking my brain-- it's not an absolute certainly, but it might have been the author, as some of the writing on one entry is something I personally pointed out.

well, other than that, this is a picture heavy set of entries on various features of pop japan. it's competently written, although contains no scholarship unknown on the university level-- more for a curious reader than the j-specialist, as it contains nothing terribly new. not bad 4/5, by no means the 5.