nouveau

nouveau

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card 1

today's news was that Hollywood has finally developed Ender's Game. it's a classic. it's a CTY thing. it's a "I am fifteen years old and my intelligence is 180, how come I'm not running a country?" book. I'm tempted to be super confessional here and write about how you can probably lurk and see every super bright all-star by checking out all the 5-star ender reviews--- and then, twenty years later, finding out that 1% has actually become einstein; 10% are respected in their field, 50% are doing okay, and 30% are drug-riddled and living on the streets.

bwahahahah

what do you they say about America? "socialism will never work in the United States because every poor person in the U.S. believes themselves a millionaire who just happens to be going through a rough patch."

this sort of babbly book review is a product of a freelancer life. like there was this time when I finished two years working at a corporation, and then spent three weeks getting paperwork finished for a job in some relatively unregulated country. during those three weeks in Prague, I walked the streets of Kafka's birthplace but visited only the cafe where Teller-Ulam worked out his equations. it's strange, I suppose, but the thing was that I was curious about the slavic contribution to modern science. art is easy. the books are good. enough said.

so: some people visit their author's graves, leave flowers. the act of tracking down and visiting a "necropole" is said to be one of the defining features of homo sapiens vis-a-vis gorilla-man.

teenagers! this book remains readable even when you're older. that isn't necessarily true about all your teenage books. you may even find some of your old childhood favourites pointless and droll. Ender's actor was obviously well chosen and the graphics look top notch. I thought Mazer was going to be older, but who knows.

this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper

this style of writing is similar to Vonnegut, Charles Bukowski

I may have to download Jhumpa Lahiri's novel for 2.99; possibly read Patchett's discount work outloud in order to get through it. (both chicklit, both cheap as mother-father at amazon)

it's these "in-between" periods that result in creative function and/or a reflection on time itself. it's nice to have so much time off, at the same time, by your fifth week, you're aching for entertainment. cheap, because it feels weird to splurge when income is not coming in

in prague, ups refused to accept an envelope if they knew a passport was inside. however, if ups was approached, at a different office, with a sealed envelope, they did not inspect what was inside the envelope.

i belong to some very tiny minority of individuals who have ever express-delivered a passport

i was express-delivering a passport in order to pay a visa service for a 6 month "contractor" visa. much better than the 30 or 90 day things you can get from the consulate/embassy

the embassy was relaxed, with no plexiglass. US embassy all plexiglass.

being the "rule-setter" has disadvantages. actually it might be disadvantageous to be born american or english, when all things are considered. the entirety of a life rather than just "who has the most personal power in a group setting"

my topic is really may 2013 rather than the date I rated the book. that's when I'm writing this thing. penobscot and cherokee. mustangs and illinois. the sit-yu-way-shun is that over the next week or so I probably have to do 2-3 hours of paperwork, but at very random and unexpected intervals. so that is screwing around with my ability to just go climb a mountain. i gotta like be part in and part out of society. i gotta wait for visas. i gotta work or not work. the czech guy said, "make sure you have a roof and running water. that is the important thing."

we arts majors do things like this. hide some stream-of-consciousness text in a book that already has 90000 reviews. possibly nobody will read this. but you just did

what can i say about ender's game? well, it's nothing like this style of review. it's a science fiction for fourteen years olds, with the 'buggers' (or formics, Card clearly never heard of british english), being this alien species that almost wiped out humanity. little kids must be trained and sent up in space, and little snotty brainiacs get to fight this war.

the "zombie" story and the "insects invading" story both have a long history. some people believe there are first world-third world undertones to both genres. unfortunately, to talk about this without offending somebody.

the biggest war going on right now is the great war of africa, in the congo. almost nobody has heard about it. exceppt in regard to Kony, which is a relatively small and minor thing.

i had various artistc , artsy, and creative friends and these relationships have a different quality than to other relationships. in some ways more intense, in some ways, less so. who would have thought?