nouveau

nouveau

Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome

Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome - Victor Davis Hanson after reading Professor Hanson's most read work [b:Carnage and Culture|177766|Carnage and Culture Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power|Victor Davis Hanson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320464325s/177766.jpg|171727], my initial impression was of an undifferentiated schizophrenic, one whose intellect was so powerful that the mask of sanity he's assumed is actually more intelligent and more coherent than the average person's full brain and personality. in other words, Professor Hanson has like two brains, whereas most of us have one. his inner, real personality is a psychotic schizotype, but on top of this layer, there's this charming, far-right, classics-adoring California professor and landowner.

theory number two is that Professor Hanson is actually completely sane. he is, actually, the George W. Bush / Condoleeza Rice / Donald Rumsfeld Professor of Classics at the Invasion and Hegemony Institute I mean, the HOOVER Institute of Stanford University. isn't this nice? a person picking and choosing ancient classical texts to justify the Iraq surge, probably lend support to a Syria invasion strategy, and quite possibly call for full and immediate combat forces to be airdropped into Iran.

what is this fantastic madman calling for? how much human blood does he drink for breakfast? Hanson keeps muttering about the Anabasis and talking about how like spirit can overcome superior numbers. we can set up bases all throughout the world and flow American culture through them, and Westernize the entire world! it's scary to think how much currency his ideas are given in Grand Strategy sessions at the CFR or at the State Department. I hope some like actual classics professor, one who reads Livy and Hesiod (let alone Cicero), sets up some counter-point essays. the picking and choosing of classical incident to support greater and greater military assertiveness seems a very odd activity. (*cough* Sicilian Expedition)

S P A R T A ! ! !