nouveau

nouveau

The Road

The Road - Cormac McCarthy some people say this is a straight ecological parable, although I wonder if it just can't be described as social commentary about our present world as well. I won't add my name to the list of people who say "I cried throughout this book," but certainly I read it all in one sitting, and the movie was great too. in fact, i seem to remember a bunch of similar 'walking on a highway after the end of the world' movies coming out right after it, so as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

premise: a man and a son walk down a road in a grim, post-apocalyptic world, where some unspecified ecological / natural catastrophe has led to the breakdown of all society.

this is a good read! i think it can be read on a number of levels despite being very simple in characterization,

* a parable about the breakdown of civilization in our world
* a parable about ecological disorder
* a parable about aging / loss of faith /religion
* any other number of 'road' or 'trip' or 'exploration' books

I'm looking forward to reading all the weird little analyses that people have probably drowned the forums with.

did want to say, i have no criticism for people who did weep throughtout the book.

"therebetween the fast flowing tears of boyhood and middle-age, the dry eyes of young adulthood, self"